It’s May already, and summer is closing in fast. You don’t actually have to live in a place like Palm Springs, CA, to know what kind of heat we experience during the summer. And the hot weather starts early and stays for a long time. This is why we emphasize the importance of regular air conditioning maintenance during the spring. There is no better way to prepare your home’s air conditioning system for the rigors of yet another desert summer in So. Cal than to have professionals inspect it and give it a thorough tune-up.
Here’s What We Check during a Maintenance Visit
Maintenance involves (broadly) two tasks. One is tuning up the system by doing tasks such as tightening electrical connections and cleaning coils. The other is inspecting the components to find places where wear and tear may be leading to potential problems, including a full breakdown or a need to replace the system early. Here are a number of the key things we check during maintenance:
- The refrigerant level. The refrigerant should stay at the same level (charge) through the AC’s lifespan, and if it drops, it means there are leaks somewhere the must be fixed.
- The thermostat calibration. Thermostats can easily become miscalibrated, and this will lead to inefficient and ineffective AC performance.
- The condensate pan and drain. If the condensate drain starts to become clogged, it will cause the condensate pan to overflow and shut down the air conditioner.
- All motors. Motors suffer wear with use, and we check them to see if they need lubrication or replacement. We also check the motors’ amperage and voltage; many AC repairs are electrical-based.
- We look to see that there is a proper temperature drop and rise.
We offer an excellent maintenance program for our customers. When you sign up, you’ll also receive maintenance in the fall for your heating system, helping you stay comfortable and save money all around the year.
Russell’s Heating & Air Conditioning has served the Desert Communities and the Inland Empire since 1980.