Gas furnaces are the most common type of heating system found in homes around the U.S. Even here in Southern California, where we only need heaters running for a short period during the mild winters, gas furnaces are the number one choice for household warmth.
And where there’s a natural gas furnace, there’s also the potential for harmful carbon monoxide leaks.
The dangers of carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that results from incomplete fuel combustion. Anything that burns can create carbon monoxide, but the major danger for modern homes comes from the combustion of natural gas. If the heat exchanger in a gas furnace develops cracks, or the furnace stops ventilating effectively, it can result in CO entering the home. Carbon monoxide is toxic and in high quantities will cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and various flu-like symptoms. Eventually, it leads to unconsciousness and death.
Protecting your home and family from CO poisoning
The first thing to keep in mind is that your home’s furnace isn’t inherently dangerous. If you keep the furnace professionally maintained each year, there will be a minimal chance for CO to leak from it. This is the most important reason for always scheduling a fall tune-up and inspection for your furnace. Call our team today and ask about our maintenance program to get you started.
Prompt furnace repair is another way to avoid carbon monoxide leaks. As soon as you notice anything amiss with your home’s furnace—odd sounds, burning smells, drops in heating output—call our licensed heating repair technicians for help. The quicker the problem is solved, the less likely there will be CO leaks.
Finally, if you use any natural gas in your home, you should have carbon monoxide detectors placed around the rooms. These detectors will sound an alarm if CO levels rise, giving you and your family enough time to vacate the house and call for help.
For assistance with your home’s gas furnace in Palm Springs, CA or elsewhere in the Desert Communities and the Inland Empire, contact Russell’s Heating & Air Conditioning.